Sunday, August 23, 2009

Love them? Yes! Need them both? Apparently not!

It's been a while since I've last posted, but I have a very good explanation for it.

I have been diagnosed with a lung carcinoid, a very slow growing type of neuroendocrine tumor. In my case, it originated in my left lung. This type of cancer is very, very rare and most people who are diagnosed with it are in their 50s or 60s. Although it is a type of cancer, it behaves differently and doesn't typically respond to chemo or radiation. The best bet for treating this type of cancer is surgery to remove the tumor and any affected lymph nodes, plus in my case, my left lung. I have surgery tomorrow to remove the tumor, my left lung and the affected lymph nodes. This whole experience has been very unexpected and a little overwhelming, but I am very hopeful.

I hope to use this blog to keep my family and friends posted on my recovery and as a resource for anyone else who is dealing with this or something similar. As I've searched the internet for blogs about people like me with cancer (or carcinoid), I have been so inspired by their stories and their strength. Although I couldn't find anyone with a blog about carcinoid like mine (not that I thought I would), reading other's words who have gone through experiences I cannot even begin to imagine, has helped to make my journey more bearable.

So, on the eve of my Pneumonectomy (fancy word for lung removal surgery) I begin this carcinoid blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment