Thursday, September 03, 2009

St. Bernardine, Protect my lung and keep me from the slot machine.


I am not a devout Catholic, but I am fascinated by saints and religious iconography of all sorts. So, I did a little google search to find the Patron Saint of Lungs. St. Bernardine of Siena, is a very diverse saint, not only that of the lungs and chest problems but also for advertising, public relations, Italy, and compulsive and uncontrolled gambling?? How those fit together, I don't know, but I thought a little devotion that way might help my situation a bit. I cannot afford to obsessively gamble anyway. And, for your own devotional purposes, here's a St. Bernardine of Siena Coloring Page.

As far as our modern symbols of unity and awareness, those ribbons and bracelets are not necessarily my thing. In fact, I don't think my situation fits neatly into any of the ribbon color categories. But that will not stop me from trying to create awareness about both lung cancer and carcinoid tumors, all types of cancer, in fact.

My recovery continues at a good pace. I feel strangely well. Not in pain really, just have a difficult time finding a comfortable way to sleep. Other than that, I'm good. I do need to get up and walk a lot more.


No comments:

Post a Comment