Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Project Stephanie: Cake Stands


I saw some DIY cake stand inspiration here and here and I knew this was easy enough for me to do. So, on my recent thrift store shopping trip, I looked for the perfect plate and base for my project. This took no more than 10 minutes to do, and now I have a lovely cake stand for cupcakes, cookies and all sorts of treats. I could probably make these all day, in all sorts of combinations, but I'd have no where to put them all!!

I really liked this platter and thought it would make a great cake stand because it had a raised edge along the outside. I also loved the translucent black color. It's very elegant in black, so I might go get another set to make something cuter and more colorful.


For the base, I chose a simple clear taper candle holder. I wanted to find a metal base, but the only metal ones were too small. That made me think about making mini cake stands for cupcakes!

This project is ridiculously easy, but here are some instructions anyway.

Materials:
Old Plate
Pedestal - you can use anything that looks lovely to you- a vase, goblet, candle holder, etc.
Gorilla Glue
Heavy Books

Instructions:
1. Clean everything.
2. Glue base to bottom of plate. I found it easiest to lay plate face down and then press the base onto the bottom.
3. Place a stack of heavy books on top of cake stand to add pressure and make sure the glue sticks.
4. Let sit overnight or until glue is set.
5. Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. Best idea ever! And all supplies can be thrifted. Gonna try it out and show you my results.
    LB

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was incredibly easy and there are so many potential combinations! Definitely do it. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete