Wednesday, June 23, 2010

PreOp



In about a month I'll look like that. 

Not really....

But, I will be have surgery on my vocal chords.

Ever since my lung surgery, my voice has been hoarse and very low.  I can't speak very loudly, my voice is strained by the end of the day and it's just not like it was before my surgery.  During that surgery, one of the nerves that controls my vocal chord was cut. (Not on purpose, but just accidentally in the process of removing my tumor and lymph nodes)  So now, one of my vocal chords is paralyzed and doesn't hit the other one they way it should to create a normal sounding voice.   The surgery I'll have in a month will involve putting a small implant behind the vocal chord to push it into place so it hits the other one that is working. 

I'm not looking forward to going back into the operating room, even if it is for something so minor.  But, I am looking forward to having my voice back.  I feel a little more nervous about this procedure than I was about the big surgery I had back in August.  Because I'd never had surgery before, I suppose I was much more naive and less fearful because I had no idea what to expect.  However, having an open thoracotomy to remove a lung is way more complicated than cutting into my neck and inserting a tiny piece of plastic.  I try not to worry too much about it and instead focus on the fact that I'll have my voice back!!  I don't even remember what I sounded like before.  I hope it doesn't sound strange or too deep or too high pitched.  


****the lovely drawings above are by Fernando Vicente.  I found them to be fitting for this surgical occasion.  The one's he did that have lungs include smoking, so I'm not such a fan of those images.****

No comments:

Post a Comment