Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Baking Away

It is way too hot to be baking in Texas, yet I do it anyway.  I can't resist.  I did cut back though and am not baking more than a couple times a month.  

On Saturday I made a couple of things.  I baked my favorite oatmeal chocolate chip cookie bars, then added ice cream, caramel, chocolate syrup and walnuts to make the best Sunday afternoon dessert ever!  I didn't photograph it, but it's pretty much this


Since the oven was already on, I went ahead and made use of some ripe bananas that we had saved earlier in the week and baked a loaf of really good banana bread.  I love any sort of dessert with a streusel topping and have only ever tried to make it one other time, which is surprising!  I have to do it more often.  That crunchy sweet topping just makes everything extra special.

IMG_3248
This banana bread is really easy to make and is subtly sweet.  If you're not a fan of the streusel topping, you can definitely just bake the bread alone and it would be just as good.
IMG_3250
For some reason, I lined the loaf pan in parchment paper.  I thought I read to do this somewhere, but I don't remember where.  In any case,  I think it made the edges a little browner than I would have liked.  I will probably try making it again without it just to see if there's a difference.
IMG_3251
Find the recipe here.  My sister-in-law gave me the Better Homes and Garden's Cookbook for Christmas, so I used the exact same recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment