Thursday, December 02, 2010

December 2nd

IMG_4069

December 2
Writing
What do you do each day that doesn’t contribute to your writing — and can you eliminate it?
(Author: Leo Babauta)

Why did this question have to come up right away?  I am the BIGGEST procrastinator.  I have been for a while and am an expert at avoiding writing.

My goal for next year is to finish up my thesis.  In order to do that, I seriously need to get better at focusing and planning so that it's not as easy for me to distract myself with other things (like baking, going online, cleaning, etc).  I also realized recently that I avoid writing by researching more.  Even though it seems like working (and it is because it's research), I need to simply write. 

I participated in a thesis writing support group this semester and learned the importance of writing daily...even for just 15 minutes.  Doing that helped me to get something down on paper so that I am progressing on building something rather than just gathering books and reading.

So in 2011 I will make it a point to write daily (I've joined 750 words which helps ALOT) and eliminate distractions by planning ahead and making writing a priority.  It sounds simple, but I know that it's a big challenge for me.  I can do all those other things I enjoy and finish up my thesis, but I need to write first and write more and in 2011.  That is the plan.  

No comments:

Post a Comment