Friday, February 04, 2011

Snow Morning

HIP_318519393.052142

Today is the first time I have ever seen snow.  Granted, it's not the blizzard that many parts of the country have been experiencing, but it was fun to wake up to a snow covered front yard.  Because it never snows in San Antonio, the city was not exactly prepared and every major highway was completely shut down for the entire morning.  The streets were covered in ice and then a layer of snow, making it very dangerous.  That meant that many schools and business closed, at least for part of the day.  I didn't have to report to work until noon, but was up at 6am ready to go out and play in the snow.

HIP_318518971.905625


HIP_318519354.959055

With the late start to my work day, having a slower paced morning meant that Alex and I could build a tiny pair of snowmen, sip our lattes slowly as we watched the news reports about the "Arctic Blast," and eat a yummy breakfast before we made our way through the still somewhat icy streets to my job downtown.  


HIP_318518939.645592

This is what remains of our little garden.  I thought our plants would have survived the winter, but today's weather completed annihilated the poor things.  

HIP_318519060.317332

HIP_318519075.811868

The sun did come out and slowly the snow melted.  Chances are it won't snow like this again for a long time, but it was still a nice and unexpected start to my Friday.  

HIP_318518985.104067

Happy Weekend!

2 comments:

  1. I love your pictures, Stephanie! I hope you were all safe and sound today if you had to go out in the weather.

    Also- you and Alex's morning sounds so lovely, and I'm very jealous. I was up at 5am to go to Little Rock for a cataloging conference, only to be forced to come home on icy interstates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lauren! Yes luckily we didn't have to travel far. The weekend weather is supposed to me much warmer, so a wintery day was good.

    I'm glad you made it home safely, too!! That ice is so scary, as are 5 am wake up times. :-)

    ReplyDelete