Tuesday, December 09, 2014

Take One & Just Begin

Over the past month, I've been making books. The covers for these books are the first paintings I've done since 2008. It's also the first time I'll be showing and sharing my work publicly in the last five years. 

This interactive art project, Take One & Just Begin, is a result of my own creative struggles. I often find myself waiting for the "perfect" moment or idea before starting something new and can sometimes find the blank page to be overwhelming.

I came across this quote by the Abstract Expressionist painter, Mary Abbott, in which she discusses what it was like to be a student at the Subjects of the Artists School in late 1940s New York: "First you had to learn to take a chance, a line, a brushstroke, or some dabs - and then keep pushing it so you'd know it was real." I found this idea to be really encouraging and started doing just that.

Making these books became a creative habit, a process, a ritual of sorts, and each one represents my own willingness to take a risk and just begin. 


I'll be sharing these books on Saturday, December 13th at the the Lullwood Group's Renegade Grackle Holiday Shoppe

I invite people to take one of the seventy handmade books I created over the past month and use it to make a mark, draw a line, write one word, a song lyric, a memory, a plan. Whatever it is they've been waiting for the perfect moment to start, they can take one of these books and just begin. 

I'll be sharing and documenting the project on instagram, so follow along at #takeonejustbegin 

2 comments:

  1. Amazing and inspiring! Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, and Happy 2015 to you, too!

      Delete